Manjul Bhargava ,professor of maths at Princeton University wins prestigious Fields medal in 2014.According to award citations ,Mr. Manuj bhargava’s work is “ based both on deep understanding of representations of arithmetic groups and a unique blend of algebra and analytic expertise“ .
About Manjul bhargava :
He was born in hamilton,ontario on 8 august,1974.his parents had migrated from Jaipur,Rajasthan,India. He obtained his B.A from harvard university in 1996.For his research as an undergraduate, he was awarded the 1996 morgan prize.Princeton appointed him as a tenured Full Professor in 2003.
Bhargava is also an accomplished tabla player, having studied under gurus such as zakir hussain .He also studied sanskrit from his grandfather Purushottam Lal Bhargava, a well-known scholar of Sanskrit and ancient Indian history.
About fields medal:
Fields medal is often described as “Nobel Prize of Mathematics.”it is awarded after every four years.it is officialy known as International Medal for Outstanding Discoveries in Mathematics.
- It is awarded to two,three or four mathematicians not over the age of 40.
- It is awarded at each international union of the International Mathematical Union (IMU) after 4 years.
- Monetary prize for this award has been C$15,000 since 2006.
- The medal was first awarded in 1936 to Finnish mathematician lars ahlfors and American mathematician jesse douglas.
- In 2014,maryam mirzakhani became the first woman to win this award.
Awards and achievements of Manjul Bhargava :
- Fields medal (2014)
- Infosys prize (2012)
- Fermat prize (2011)
- Cole prize (2008)
- Clay research award (2005)
- SASTRA Ramanujan award (2005)
- Morgan prize (1996)
- Hoopes prize (1996)
Some interesting facts about bhargav :
- He did not have even a bachelor degree when he won Morgan prize back in 1996.
- Bhargav hated school as a kid and bunked classes to go to his mother’s office -(Bhargava’s mother to a U.S based newspaper.)
- He also travels to india for collaborating with the IIT’s and Tata institute of research and fundamental research for pedagogical issues.
- GAUSS COMPOSITION LAW : This is the theory due to which he came in limelight.
Bhargav has made his country proud by becoming the first person of Indian origin to win fields medal along with many other fantastic achievements.He is the perfect example that when talent and dedication meets guidance ,the ultimate result is SUCCESS.